What is Part P?

What is Part P?

Explaining Part P and electrical work

Part P is an aspect of the Building Regulations concerning the compliant installation and maintenance of electrical work carried out in a home or domestic property by an electrician or electrical installer. It enables competent electricians to self-certify their work as compliant against the Building Regulations.

What are the Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations were introduced in 1965 to ensure consistent standards were applied to the construction of buildings, including structures, fire safety, sound insulation, drainage, ventilation and more. The regulations were introduced by the Government and they produced a number of Approved Documents (from A to R) which concern different aspects of the construction industry and provide guidance about how a professional or tradesperson can meet the regulations during the course of their work. The requirements around Part P are explained in Electrical Safety: Approved Document P.

Where does Part P fit in?

In 2005, the Building Regulations formed Part P, introducing a number of electrical safety regulations for England and Wales which all electrical installation work must meet. Currently, electricians in Scotland must comply with their Building Standards system and electricians in Northern Ireland do not have any equivalent statutory requirement at this time. Approved Document P includes the following guidance for electricians:

  • The technical requirements for carrying out electrical installation work
  • The types of buildings which are subject to the requirements of Part P
  • How an electrician can demonstrate that their work is compliant

Which standards must an electrician follow?

Whilst Part P provides a regulation which electricians can self-certify their work against, it is the Wiring Regulations which are the British standard and define the standards an electrician should follow. The DCLG have developed a definition of competency for scheme providers, such as Stroma Certification, to adhere to, in order to award certification to competent electricians.

The Part P requirement

"Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation from fire or injury."

Source: Electrical Safety: Approved Document P

How to ensure compliance against Part P

Any electrician can supply an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or Minor Works certificate following the completion of electrical work. However, by employing a Stroma Certified electrician, you can guarantee that their work will meet Part P as they have been assessed as compliant and understanding of the Building Regulations. For example, when selling a property, there will be a search of the building notices issued against the property, found through conveyancing searches. If you have employed the services of an electrician who is certified against a Part P scheme, all of their work will be competent and compliant, reducing the risk of non-conformities and saving you time and money in the long run as the consumer.

Employing a certified electrician

Stroma Certification recommends employing an electrician who is registered under a Competent Person Scheme (CPS) to carry out all electrical work on your property as they have the knowledge and skills to perform a high quality and professional standard of installation. This will mean that they will work safely and, more importantly, the installation will also be safe once complete.

When the work is complete, your electrician should provide you with:

  • An Electrical Installation Certificate or Minor Work Certificate that confirms the work meets BS 7671 (the UK national standard for Requirements for Electrical Installations)
  • A Building Regulations Compliance Certificate that confirms that the work meets the Building Regulations

Competent Person Schemes were introduced with approval from the Government to assess electrical contractors against the Part P standard and determine their competency for electrical work. An electrician who is certified under a CPS can take care of everything for you, including being responsible for paying building control fees, self-certifying their work as compliant against the Building Regulations and obtaining a certificate to confirm this.

To find a Part P registered electrician or discover more information about your responsibilities as a homeowner, please use our Consumer Advice page.

4 Pioneer Way, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 5QU

T | 01977 665 420*

©Stroma Certification Ltd 2019

*Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's network access charge or call 01977 665420.