Stroma Building Control has a strong track record of work providing Building Control for Private Residential projects. Building Control relates to the construction of the building, ensuring it complies with the current regulations and standards.

Here is our guide to Building Control for Private Residential developments.

What is Building Control?

Before you commence any construction activities on site, you will need to begin the Building Regulation approval process. Stroma Building Control is a private Approved Inspector, an alternative to using the Local Authority for your Building Regulation approval. Approved by the Construction Industry Council (CICAIR) to provide Building Control on all types of construction projects, we carry the necessary Professional Indemnity (PI) and Public Liability (PL) cover as required by the CICAIR and the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).

Building Control’s main role is to check the drawings of the proposed work and construction to ensure they comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations as set out in the Government’s Approved Documents.

What kind of building work requires Building Regulations approval?

The majority of building work requires Building Regulation approval, including:

Erection of most building types

Erection of most building types
(inc. residential & commercial)

Extension of most building types

Extension of most building types
(inc. residential & commercial)

Most building work that affects the physical structure

Most building work that affects the physical structure or internal layout of a building

Change of use of an existing building to a dwelling

Change of use of an existing building to a dwelling, flat, hotel or an institutional building

Material alterations such as drainage

Material alterations such as drainage, ventilation, new lintel and structural openings

Building works that change the number of dwellings a building contain

Building works that change the number of dwellings a building contains

Installing cavity wall insulatio

Installing cavity wall insulation or replacement windows (not covered by a CPS Scheme)

Conversions of existing spaces

Conversions of existing spaces (e.g. loft conversions and garage conversions)

Who is responsible for Building Regulations compliance?

With all building work, the owner and occupier of the property or land in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and Building Regulations. The role of checking that Building Regulations are (as far as can reasonably be determined) being complied with, falls to a Building Control Body – such as Stroma Building Control.

The role of Building Control is to act as an independent third party. They check and take reasonable steps, to be satisfied that the Works comply with the Building Regulations. It is not the role of Building Control to:

  • Provide quality control of the works
  • Provide a ‘clerk of works’ service monitoring every stage of the construction process
  • Provide a service to address issues such as the finish and aesthetics of the works where these are not Building Regulation matters
  • Provide a service to offer contractual protection between the person carrying out the work and the parties engaged in the design and/or construction of such work
  • Provide a guarantee of compliance with the Building Regulations. The appointment of a Building Control Body does not remove the obligation of the person carrying out the work to achieve compliance

How do I apply for Building Control?

You must make an application at least 5 working days before work commences on site. On receipt of your application and with your consent, Stroma Building Control will submit an Initial Notice, on your behalf, to the Local Authority in which the site address is located. The purpose of the submission is to inform the Local Authority that you have given permission for Stroma to carry out the Building Control on your development and that the works are not going ahead without Building Regulations Approval.

What’s the next step?

Following the submission of the Initial Notice to the Local Authority, a period of 5 working days must elapse before work can commence on site. This is to allow the Local Authority sufficient time to process the application and check the information supplied is correct. Assuming there are no objections within this time frame, works can then commence on site.

Please note: An Initial Notice cannot be used for retrospective works or works which has started. Therefore, it is essential that works do not start before the Initial Notice is submitted and accepted.

What about the drawings for my project?

You can submit any drawings you have at the fee quote or Building Control application stage (either directly to our surveyor or by email). Your architect, project manager and/or structural engineer will have produced these for you. The earlier we receive the drawings the better. These will be appraised against the requirements of the Building Regulations and comments made to you and/or your agent.

Who will carry out the Site Inspections of the works and when?

After 5 days of the notice having been lodged, the site works can legally commence. Site inspections can be arranged via email or telephone through our local offices. It is the responsibility of the client to request visits, but once the first visit has commenced a proactive process of planning future visits can be arranged through our inspectors.

When do Site Inspections occur?

Site Inspections are generally carried out at the following stages, depending on the works being undertaken:

  1. Foundations
  2. Damp Proof Course / Damp Proof Membrane / Floor Preparations
  3. Below ground pipework (before backfilling)
  4. Pre-plaster check – structural beams and lintels, roof joists restrain straps and thermal insulation
  5. Completion

What is a Final Certificate?

A Final Certificate is evidence (but not conclusive evidence) the requirements specified in the Certificate have been complied with, as far as it is practical to determine, the Building Regulations as laid out in the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government’s (MHCLG) guidance notes.

A Final Certificate will be issued following a satisfactory completion inspection by our Building Control Surveyor. The Final Certificate is a very important document. However, it is a statement of compliance, not a comment on the quality of workmanship or satisfaction by the building owner. You should keep the Certificate safe because you will need it if you sell your property.

For residential projects, Stroma Building Control is required to issue a Final Certificate within 8 weeks of the completed works being occupied (within 4 weeks for commercial premises).

What are the Approved Documents?

These Approved Documents contain general guidance on the performance expected of materials and building work in order to comply with the Building Regulations. Also, practical examples and solutions on how to achieve compliance for some of the more common building situations. The Approved Documents consist of the following general guidance notes covering the various elements of building works:

How do I obtain a fee quote for Building Control on my project?

This is an easy and straightforward process. Complete our Fee Quote Request Form and upload any project drawings. You will automatically receive a confirmation email of your submission and a further email, within 24 hours, containing our fee quote.

Recent Project Experience

Registered Office: 4 Pioneer Way, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 5QU